Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

Here. Trying to remove right, drivers side rear rotor. Spins

Customer Question

Hi, ***** ***** here. Trying to remove right, drivers side rear rotor. Spins freely but looks like rusted on maybe. don't know if i need to relax e-brake cable. not sure how to anyway.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: '08 volvo xc90
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Volvo Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Jerry replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

Although they do have a manual release for the parking brake, and it does spin freely, the rotors normally are just rusted on, sometimes oxidized around the center part of the hub.

.

If you spray some WD-40 all around the center, (and in the stud holes some) and let it sit for a few minutes, (10 min) then tap on the hub, between the lug studs with a hammer it should jar it loose. Tapping around the inner part between the studs until the rotor starts to move to where it can come off.

.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** Thanks

Expert:  Andy replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. Following the above advice is a great way to remove the rotors and damage the parking brake shoes in the process. I would recommend against it.

If you would like, I can explain how to remove the rotors, without the need for any additional payment like suggested above. I will await your response, as accepting the above offer will automatically credit him for the advice that could cause more damage and I will be unable to help then. Let me know. Thank you.