Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.

Engine seized after it stopped running on ghway just after I

Customer Question

Engine seized after it stopped running on highway just after I picked it up from mechanic after he had just fixed an oil leak.
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Volvo Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: He fixed the oil leak and I picked it up and was driving home. It cut off and I thought the battery was a problem - as it was when I picked it up. Jumping did not work and engine has not turned over.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: My mechanic now says it needs a new engine - jut after a $1500 oil leak repair.
JA: Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should be aware of about your Volvo?
Customer: It is a 2008 XC90 with 198,000 miles.
JA: Our top Volvo Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Volvo Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Volvo Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If this was not an issue when you brought it in to the mechanic (obviously not or it would not have ran into the mechanics shop) if the mechanic did the repair incorrectly or if oil was not added properly or leaked out this will cause the seize up issue here and should be covered by the repair facility that did the work.If you can tell me what leak was repaired and if when this happened if you yourself checked the oil to see if any oil was showing on the dipstick this will help.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete