Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.

I have an 04 xc90 that seems to lose power when I need to

Customer Question

hello , I have an 04 xc90 that seems to lose power when I need to get up and go , or going up a hill. a few weeks ago I noticed that it was emitting white smoke, and at times it has come into the cabin. with the little information that ive given im hoping that it isn't the turbo.... please help!!!
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: that depends on how easy it sounds and access
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: well nothing as of yet , it has been in the body shop getting a face lift, sooooo....
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Volvo Mechanic should know about your Volvo?
Customer: that's all that I can think of from a mechanical stand point
JA: Our top Volvo Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Volvo Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Volvo Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Is the check engine light on now when driving by chance? or have you gotten any messages that say "reduced power" ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello Edward, yes the check engine light is on , but in all fairness it hasn't stayed on. There has been days that it wasn't on, flashes when trying to go up a hill or acceleratin from about 45 -55mph. No I haven't seen any messages indicating any loss of power
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

Alright, if it flashes, then you have codes stored, and it's probably misfiring. You likely have misfire codes stored. What I would recommend first, is checking the coil packs, and go ahead and replace the spark plugs if you haven't done that in a while. The coil packs have coil tubes, that extend down from the coil to the plug, the tubes are bad to crack, then the spark jumps out of the coil before it gets to the spark plug. That's likely what is going on with the check engine light. As far as the white smoke goes, You want to have a block test performed to make sure it isn't a head gasket. If you haven't had to add antifreeze and it doesn't run hot, then I doubt it is a headgasket, but it's best to know 100% for sure before considering any other possibilities of it being the turbo, or rings, or valve seals or anything else. If you want to stop by a local auto parts store, and have them scan for codes, that will give you an idea of what is at fault. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK so I looked over the past messages and I noticed I did forget to mention that there's a constant tick when my foot is on the gas. Hearing this I thought that it could be the exhaust manifold , then someone mentioned the turbo ...... at this point I'm frustrated, it's been in the shop more than on the road since I've had it (3 years ) and nothing has been small dollars. ... Where are the turbos located? ........ please bare in mind it's in shop now getting body work , but with this new info and old info what do you think???? Outside of what you've already said ?
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

It's probably the exhaust manifold gaskets, manifolds themselves usually don't give much trouble. They are metal gaskets and usually you can just tighten the up good and it will fix that ticking. Unless it's the lifters which I kind of doubt. A noise is difficult for me to diagnose without hearing it. But exhaust manifold gaskets are common to leak. The turbo's (or turbo if it's a 5 cyl) are in the back of the engine, if you follow the pipe (or pipes on T6) that go across the top of the engine towards the back, those pipes bolt to the top of the turbo. Does it ever run hot? or use antifreeze?