Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.

I have a 2004 Volvo S60 that has been a good car. today I

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Volvo S60 that has been a good car. today I was driving and the ABS light came on then I got a message telling me there has been an ABS system failure and to pull over asap. Before I could react the car went into shut down mode (or what seemed like it) and turned itself off leaving me in the intersection ... car would not restart but would crank ... does the car turn itself off when there is an ABS system failure or?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In some cases depending on what is acting up/at fault here it can turn itself off or power down.Components like a yaw rate or lateral acceleration sensor may be at fault and may be causing this issue here.What will have to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this fault here.This needs done with a scan tool that will plug into your vehicle and can communicate with the anti lock brake system itself.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete