Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.

2004 volvo s80 Need to replace the drivers side D bulb or

Customer Question

2004 volvo s80 Need to replace the drivers side HID bulb or ballast How do I get to the bulb? Do I have to take the whole headlight out
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Here are the instructions for this on your model here.

Bi-Xenon lamps, replacing Safety precautions Always cut the current to the headlamps before replacing the lamps. Do not touch the high and low beam stalk during work due to the high voltage and risk of explosion. Remove the keys and lock the car. Allow the lamp to cool. Use protective goggles and gloves when replacing the lamp. The glass body of the Bi-Xenon-lamp is filled with different gases and metal vapors which are under pressure. Never touch the glass body of the lamp. Only touch the lamp at the socket. Remove any finger prints from the glass using a cloth and alcohol. The lamp must only be used in enclosed headlamps. The replaced Bi-Xenon lamp must be treated as hazardous waste and must be sent for recycling. Removing the ballast

- On the right-hand side remove the windshield washer fluid filler pipe for better access - Remove the screws for the filler pipe for the windshield washer fluid reservoir - Pull the pipe from the reservoir and remove the hose - Place paper over the hole - Slacken off the six screws. Use Torx 20 with holes.

Fold out the cable from the ballast. Disconnect the connector from the Bi-Xenon lamp.

Use a screwdriver and carefully press in the outer edge of the outer section of the connector. At the same time press the other side of the connector downwards. Move the ballast to one side.

Removing the lamp

Caution! Use protective goggles and gloves whilst carrying out the rest of the work. Handle the lamp with extreme care. The lamp is gas pressured and can explode. - Remove the spring clamp above the bulb holder - Turn the bulb holder counter-clockwise - Carefully pull the bulb and holder straight out from the lamp housing - Remove the bulb by pressing and twisting it - Place the old bulb in the carton and send it off for recycling.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pete I need instructions for the drivers side not the passenger side
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

That is the only instructions I show on this here and it should apply for both sides.It may be showing the passenger side but should be the same for the drivers side.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK ill try but there seems to be a lot of stuff in the way on the drivers side opposed to the passenger side
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

You may have to remove or move anything out of the way to gain access to it.I double checked my info and this is all it shows for this here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete