Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2000 Volvo S70 non turbo with #1 & #2 will not fire. 200#

Customer Question

2000 Volvo S70 non turbo with #1 & #2 will not fire. 200# ***** in both.. Both have injector pulse, both have ignition pulse. ECM checked good. Any suggestions as to where to go next.. engine will run on 3 4 & 5 but only at an idle. any help would be a blessing. thank you for our suggestions or answers.. Andy
Mile age at 140K
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

You have all that the cylinders need to run fuel and spark and compression. Can you check for a valve train issue that is not allowing the valves to open on these cylinders. You can do that with a visual inspection or by applying compressed air to the cylinders and cranking the engine by hand slow to see if you get air flow out the exhaust and throttle body based on the stroke its on.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did that.. used a bleed down tester.. BOTH cylinders are at 200# ***** compression is not the issue. Also used a node light to check the pulse to the injectors. There is power to the "coils" on ! & 2. Also both seem to be getting a spark as I pulled the coils on each cylinder and put a grounded plug in the hot end.. a spark was observed. How can they be out to time. this is an interference engine and a double over head cam. Cam timing is NOT the issue. Mechanically the engine is sound. Where does the timing for these cylinders come from.. the ECU ? its been checked and found OK. All the spark plugs are NEW Bosch designed for this engine. any other ideas.?

I am not saying it is a compression issue. I am saying it looks like the valves are not opening on these cylinders possibly from worn cam lobes for example.