Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

We have a Volvo 2007 780. While driving down the street

Customer Question

We have a Volvo 2007 780. While driving down the street everything turns off then back on, like its resetting itself or something. It's Like I turn the key off then back on, any idea what this could be?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If you have already checked the wiring to the battery and from the battery to where the wiring runs and connects to this fault here can be caused by an internal intermittent electrical fault with the electronic ignition switch itself.I have seen the ignition switch fail in the past before like this acting up and needing replaced.I would have this tested/checked (when acting up if possible as this is best) to see if it needs replaced.This may involve leaving the vehicle with a dealer or repair center so they can access and test this switch when it acts up to see if it needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We stopped at a rest area, turned off truck, now will not start. Dash don't even come on when turning the key. All other electrical (lights, radio etc) are working.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

This does sound like a possible fault with the electronic ignition switch itself.I have seen this switch fail or act up internally like this here before in the past needing replaced.I would have the switch signals tested to be sure.This usually requires a multi meter to test these signals as well as a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers and shows data lists to monitor the ignition signals.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We fixed it, was ground wire from alt.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

That is great to hear.If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete