thomas hill
thomas hill,
Experience:  master tech at kia of east hatford ct
93151433

When starting 2004 S80 one or both of the low beams will not

Customer Question

When starting 2004 S80 one or both of the low beams will not come on. If I strike each of the lights that is out (independently) then lamps will come on. They'll stay on and work fine (even on bumpy roads) until I turn off the engine and let it sit for a few hours. When I start the engine again the lamps will do the same thing.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Volvo. The Volvo Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Depends on complexity - honestly - and I'm looking for a new mechanic in local area if necessary. I have done low complexity repairs including harnesses.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet, gathering info - thinking shunts or relays at this point.
JA: Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should be aware of about your Volvo?
Customer: 2004 Volvo S80.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  thomas hill replied 9 months ago.

have you tried to replaced the bulbs or pull out the bulbs and look at them volvos head lights run a little dimmer than other car makes witch makes the bulb last longer but the bulb filament tends to brake instead of burn out so when you tap on the light it shakes the broken filament like a spring till it makes contact and it kinda welds it self back on but when cold it pops off agin.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll double check it again, but yes, I had checked the bulbs on both sides. This has been happening more frequently as time has progressed, across bulb changes. That's why I'm starting to check other causes (been burning through bulbs thinking they were burning out). Now that both lights are failing, and given that when I strike the individual lights they come on full strength, I'm even more certain this is not the bulbs. Note that I'm not tapping the lights (like a couple fingers tapping glass); it is a full fist blow to the front of the housing, sometimes a couple. Again, though, I make sure to check the bulb carefully.

do the bulb connections look corrupted at all?

when you replace the bulbs does the problem get better for a wile?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Gonna respond tomorrow with bulb and connection pictures and results to your questions. For your last one, yes, it does improve after changing the bulb.

k sounds good

if my answer has helped you please help me by rating or accepting my answer. this does not cost you any more it just allows me to be credited for my work. you can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. thank you