Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

I just boought my daughter a 2004 C70. she said it has

Customer Question

I just boought my daughter a 2004 C70. she said it has stalled a couple of times when starting.. she lets sit for couple minutes and its starts and drives fine after.. any ideas
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Has she noticed the check engine light come on any since this problem started? or is it on now when driving? Let us know, Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No check engine lite
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Alright, No check engine light is good, this vehicle's idle speed is controlled by the throttle module or what Volvo calls the ETM (Electronic Throttle Module). If there are no check engine lights, and no ETS light, then likely this system is fine, what I would suggest first, is cleaning the throttle module, I recommend using some carb cleaner on a rag, and wiping out the throttle module with some carb cleaner on a rag. Then after the throttle module is clean, Start the vehicle and let it idle for 5 minutes without touching it, then let it idle 5 minutes with the air on. This will adapt the idle learning speed with a cleaned throttle module. That is likely what it is, but I would also put a new air filter in it if it is dirty, and put a bottle of techron injector cleaner in the tank to clean the injectors. I believe that will help your idle speed, if there is anything else wrong, such as vacuum leak or sensor, it would likely set the check engine light off, so I doubt anything is wrong there. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.