Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

My 2005 volvo s40 is having a tough time mustering

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,my 2005 volvo s40 is having a tough time mustering power..and I started getting the message "high engine temp, stop safely". Changed the ait filter and topped off oil and coolant. Thinking it could need oil filter or thermostat?Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Volvo. The Volvo Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: replacing air filter, topping off oil and coolant
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Volvo Mechanic should know about your Volvo?
Customer: the "high engine temp, stop safely" message keeps coming up.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

hello

is the engine temperature gauge registerign high?

if it is and you don't think its overheating then I'd replace the coolant temperature sensor

if you do think this is genuine then

replace the thermostat in the engine.

Whilst the thermostat is being replaced you might as well also reverse flush the cooling circuit (remove top hose to rad and use a hosepipe to push water into the engine until you get clear water out of the radiator hose) and top up with 30-50% fresh antifreeze. Also check that the small diameter bleed hoses that run from the top of the radiator and the top of the engine aren't blocked as this allow the air to vent back to the header tank automatically.

If you still have a problem then check that the water pump impeller / turbine isn't spinning on its shaft. You should be able to achieve this by removing the bottom hose from the engine and use a screwdriver or similar to feel for the water pump impeller blades, whilst your assistant turns the engine over by hand.

If you can stop the impeller with slight pressure from the screwdriver the pump needs replacing.

Also its possible the belt is slipping so its worth replacing its especially if the rubber ribs are cracked or it looks shiny on flat side of the belt - while its off check that the tensioner and other pulleys all spin freely the exception to this is the AC pump ( if fitted)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks very much for the response Matt.
My temperature gauge is NOT registering high. However I don't think it is a sensor either. I say this because the car recently stalled almost immediately after starting (shortly after I pulled over).
I've read elsewhere that it could be the thermostat too. If so will follow your additional advice on taking care of this.It could possibly be the belt as well like you mentioned. It seems to losr strength going up hills.
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

OK

try replacing the thermostat and get back to me on this post

good luck

Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you