rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Volvo 2005 xc90 will not crank, starter turns, no gas

Customer Question

Volvo 2005 xc90 will not crank, starter turns, no gas exiting fuel filter.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

Knowing what you just told me, you may have a bad fuel pump. Be sure to check for power going yo it first and that all the fuses are good.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how and where do I check the power going to the fuel pump?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Check at the pump harness itself that connects to the pump. Be VERY careful to NOT make any sparks there, or this conversation can be all over:)

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which fuses are in line with the fuel pump?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Just look at your box cover, they are ALL marked. Have you ever done something like this before? I ask because there are some dangers involved if you do something wrong.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am okay with the fuses. Just unsure where to check the power. I am not a mechanic.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Okay, check the power distribution box under the hood that houses the relays and fuses. They are all marked, which is which.

Thanks again, Ron