rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Volvo 2005 xc90 will not crank, starter turns, no gas

Customer Question

Volvo 2005 xc90 will not crank, starter turns, no gas exiting fuel filter.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

Knowing what you just told me, you may have a bad fuel pump. Be sure to check for power going yo it first and that all the fuses are good.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
how and where do I check the power going to the fuel pump?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

Check at the pump harness itself that connects to the pump. Be VERY careful to NOT make any sparks there, or this conversation can be all over:)

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
which fuses are in line with the fuel pump?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

Just look at your box cover, they are ALL marked. Have you ever done something like this before? I ask because there are some dangers involved if you do something wrong.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am okay with the fuses. Just unsure where to check the power. I am not a mechanic.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

Okay, check the power distribution box under the hood that houses the relays and fuses. They are all marked, which is which.

Thanks again, Ron