internal88
internal88, Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working on Import and European vehicles for 15 years. Diagnostic is my specialty.
63512786

I am having transmission trouble with Volvo C70 automatic.

Customer Question

I am having transmission trouble with Volvo C70 automatic. vin #: yv1mc68236j005336, 146,000 miles. Five cylinder turbo.
Slips in 1st and second when transmission is up to operating temp. Will start under hard acceleration in third with no slip. Fluid is not cherry red but is not burned brown either and is up to operating level.
I am a used car dealer and bought this convertible when my mind was on pleasure driving with my wife instead of business. I forgot that I quit buying Volvos for transmission problems several years ago.
I am planning on having my mechanic scan it on Monday and see where it goes from there. I just gave $4400. for it and as it sits now it is a rolling total.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  internal88 replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I"m Brandon.

The hard shift is coming a bad valve body in the transmission.

First I would scan the vehicle for trouble code. Second, change out the transmission fluid with fresh volvo transmission fluid.

This is most economical way to go about it.

Please follow up with me on Monday and rate me positive! Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not having a hard shift. It slips in first gear and second gear on hard acceleration. Does this sound like a solenoid, fluid starvation or low pressure. What is the "buss connection signal is low" all about; does that sound like electrical?

Yes, it is called gear slipping. First I would try to update the latest transmission software. Hopefully the software will take care of it.

However from my experience it is the Valve Body (A very important part of the transmission which regulates the pressure applied in every gear change). This is the common fail part in the transmission which require expensive repair.

Please rate me positive, thank you!