Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a Automotive tech
7276279

I have a 2005 V70. The ignition key has started locking up

Customer Question

I have a 2005 V70. The ignition key has started locking up when trying to turn the car off. In addition, the car will often not want to shift from park into any gear.
The shifter knob has already been replaced. Can you help me?
Thanks,
Brad in California
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Brad , The problem you are having with the key as well as the shiftier is very likely related and one very common cause can be caused by a binding and or failing Shift Interlock Cable. In order to verify if that is the case you are going to need to check a few things. I have enclosed those steps in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Shift%20loc%20Feb%2029.pdf