Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

How do i remove the bottom rear seat to gain access to the

Customer Question

how do i remove the bottom rear seat to gain access to the fuel pump ass.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Volvo. The Volvo Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2004 volvo s60 has a bad fuel pump
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: i have the new pump and removal tool but cant find the release for the bottom seat in rear
JA: Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should be aware of about your Volvo?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Randall C replied 10 months ago.

Hello, the rear cushion is attached with clips, You have to grasp under front edge of the cushion on one end, kind of pull and lift to unclip it then do the other side, The clips can be a bit firm so may take a little effort to unsnap the cushion from the clips then it kind of lifts up off the clips and slides out, Hard to explain but there are no bolts etc to remove the seat

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is the clip on the floor board or up in the seat and do you pull toward the front of the car or towards the doors

grasp at front lower edge and wiggle and lift up hard on each end , pic in link

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
a little difficult hell, i am 6'2" 240 lbs and it was all i could do to get it to release. Next the access to the gas tank isn't under the seat. so is it in the trunk or do i have to drop the tank. there is one access port but there is just a wire going though there.

the tank is not removed but backrest is, You have a couple senders on on each side but where you need is to remove the backrest, I have attached a file showing how to remove the tank, you are not doing that but parts of the file do show how to access the fuel pump module cap etc