Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

2004.5 S40 134,000 miles - I recently installed new front

Customer Question

2004.5 S40 134,000 miles - I recently installed new front struts (KYB at 50nm) and strut mounts (Master Pro). After installing them, it sounded like there was slag in the mounts because there was rattling coming from both sides. Second as I turned a corner there was popping as well. For the sake of this question, I replaced the lower control arms (with new bolts) at the same time. Everything appears to be torqued correctly.
Here is my question, is it possible that I installed the mounts incorrectly? And/or, did I position the coils incorrectly? The only thing I could identify as a positioning mark on the Master Pro mounts was a small extrusion of plastic on the lower portion which, I aimed toward the engine bay. The seller indicated that it would be unusual for those to fail so I am left wondering what is causing the noise.
My mistake was not carefully analyzing the old parts and now I cannot find a source to tell me what the original position of the mount and coil should be.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 10 months ago.

Hi looks you got wrong parts I would get all volvo parts for upper spring seat bearing plates bump stop etc .you can try re install what you did maybe is wrong installed but sounds problem is on struts

Expert:  Enes replied 10 months ago.

do you need more help ?