Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

My name is ***** *****, I am doing this on an 2002 Volvo

Customer Question

hi my name is ***** *****, I am doing this on an 2002 Volvo v70xc I think I under stand it, just not real clear to what it means by limit position
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes I think during a belt install that my exhaust cam has turned some and need to set it back, whats it mean by limit position
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Volvo Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok longer version, the big nut that holds the crank timing gear on came of some how, wobbled out the gear, crank slipped some in the gear, it stalled out on the road. got new gear and nut, set cams to marks and removed belt, set crank to tdc, reinstalled belt, started it, it wont run right, wont idle or even rev, like its cutting the throttle out, im thinking either the exhaust cam turned some, or I have crashed valves. lol hoping more towards the cam moved. not sure of how to properly reference the exhaust cam for it is vvt. I read the post from online here from 3 years ago, and some what understand, just not sure as to what they mean by limit position, as to the 3 screws im guessing means in the center, but I have not removed them or the pully/vvt units, im guessing as to the vvt I would get on the center screw (1) and turn it back some and turn it forward under cam pressure clockwise and hold to install belt.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you hear any loud metallic noises from the engine when cranking it over or when it does run there is a good chance valves have been damaged needing repaired or replaced.Have you had a compression test done at all?Let me know so we can continue here on this.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no metallic noise when I started it, have not done a leak down test, did compression test on #1 cyl only when I was checking for spark was around 80 psi on cranking not running, with 255000 miles on engine
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,after looking through my info on this here I do not see in my info the timing aligment or check procedure.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete