Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Question on a 2006 s60 r ,ecm 2900 and 290d stalled out in

Customer Question

hey question on a 2006 s60 r ,ecm 2900 and 290d stalled out in slow speed turns twice installed new pump now cutting out under load same code returns?havent checked duty cycle yet
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
another symptom was after new pump was installed would act like it going to stall ,then will stumble for a bit than shut down tried to step on throttle anf go too wot and no reponse ??
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 9 months ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

Most of the times, these codes can be attributed not to the pump itself, as VIDA might indicate, but to the Fuel Pump Control Module. This module is what actually powers the fuel pump and regulates its output.

They're pretty sturdy, so I would recommend checking the connector for any dirt or corrosion that might be causing signal interruption before replacing the module (see attached graphic).

If connector is OK, then a scope would be needed to check the PWM signals from the module to the fuel pump.

Please let me know if that helps.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I realize that and just notice the gas gauge stoped working as well don't have a wiring diagram,what color wires powers fuel pump and what side grounds

Would you rather I upload the diagram for you? or if you want me to, I could give you detailed instructions on how to set the scope and which wires to probe so you could check the signal duty-cycle - a digital multimeter won't work here unless it can measure frequency in Hertz. Which one would you prefer?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yeah diagram and wires please ! And what type of reading /specs is normal vs not

OK. When it comes to duty cycle signals, it all depends on what the demand is. With key on engine off, the pump will be commanded on until pressure reaches appx 55 psi, then it would be commanded off - Volvo does not provide a duty-cycle spec for that event.

For example, at idle, the pump will be commanded on less frequently than at full throttle under power. Kind of the same strategy used to power the injectors; when there is more demand for fuel, the injectors will be commanded open longer. A two-channel scope would allow you to see both signals and their correlation.

Please find the diagram attached - the PEM, designated by Volvo as component 4/83, is shown on part 2.

Please let me know if you have any other questions for me at this time. If not, please accept and rate my answer now.

Best Regards.

Part 2 might not have uploaded correctly. I'm attaching it to his post as well just in case.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
PEM ??? and just to be clear the fuel control module is what we are talking about ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
module in trunk???
im am fairly new to Volvo and not sure of acronyms
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
any insight to why gas gauge would stop working ?? cant tell on diagram if sending unit is on circut ?Volvos diagrams arent the greatest as they dont ;lablel components with descriptions next too each potential component

unfortunately for us Volvo techs, those diagrams are what we work with day and day out.

The gas gauge is not directly connected to the fuel pump or its controls - I would look at the fuel level sender or the CEM module as possible culprits for that issue.

The first image I uploaded for you shows the fuel pump control module or PEM as it's mounted in the trunk.

I got to warn you, these Volvos give headaches to us certified master technicians who have years of experience and access to the right diagnostic equipment. Just to give you an example, were you to bring that S60R to a dealer, it would be assigned to the best driveability tech in the shop as he/she might be the only one capable of an accurate diagnosis. Since I used to be one of those top dogs before I retired, I'm pretty sure I could guide you through the diagnostic process as long as you understand that it would be up to you to provide and know how to use the needed tools and equipment.

Don't mean to bring you down, just letting you know what you're up against.

Best Regards.