Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T. Warning message says "Brake Failure

Customer Question

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T. Warning message says "Brake Failure stop safely".Have had the BCM repaired and reinstalled. Same msg and warning lights.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Do you know what code is stored in the BCM now? it's probably the SAS sensor. Had more problems out of those than anything,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not certain. Volvo originally diagnosed the BCM, so I sent it off to Xemodex for repair and reinstalled. What's the SAS sensor?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Steering Angle Sensor. It's basically the air bag clockspring,

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

If you can stop at a local chain auto parts store, borrow their scanner, (they usually have one that will read ABS and SRS codes) and see whats stored, I believe that would be the best thing to do at this point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that what you're suggesting is causing the ABS Brake failure messaging?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

I would not be surprised if that was it, but, I would like to know what codes were stored in the BCM first. I'm kind of flying blind without that information on this particular problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Let me know the code that is stored and I can help you further but, if I had to take a stab at it, I would say SAS sensor, double check the wheel speed sensors and the toothed wheel on the CV axles on the front, I've seen them crack before.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you get the codes read, or if you have any further questions. Thank you.