Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

I will try to be as specific as possible in my question :-)

Customer Question

I had my Volvo s80 2000 in for service at dealership. They did $600 worth of service and returned my car. They fixed engine mount, replaced a leaking tube, and did something else (I can look it up later). I drove it twice (a 14 mile trip and a 20 mile trip) and noticed that after some time it would smell strongly like burning rubber -- as if emergency brake was on. Took it back immediately and they told me it needed a new power steering pump -- an $800 repair.
I don't believe in coincidences. I did not have this problem before I took car in, and as soon as I picked it up, I have this new expensive problem. Also, service guy asked me a strange question -- he asked me if I had had somebody work on the power steering pump recently. I reminded him that I had just had service at his dealership a few days ago and that no one else had touched the inside of the car .
Could the service they did have caused this problem?
Why would my pump look like someone had "tinkered with it"?
Is $800 a reasonable price for replacing a power steering pump?
Does a "spewing" power steering pump cause this smell?
Can a "spewing" power steering get to this point within 7 miles of picking up car from service...without service having noticed anything wrong?
For both trips I tookbetween picking up and dropping off again, there would be no smell for the first half of the trip and then the smell for the 2nd half of the trip. Was this due to time or speed or temperature or something? Why would it not smell and then start to smell?
Thank you.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. What tube was leaking? was it the turbo oil return line by chance? or is this a non turbo? Let me get all of the work they did if I can, that will tell me if they were in the area of the P/S pump. These pumps usually don't go bad, I've seen a few but not many. Let us know, Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will look up the itemized bill when I get home.
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Alright, sounds good. I will be here another 30 minutes, and then back on after an hour or so for dinner. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Eddie,
Sorry for the long delay. Here is what they did. After this was completed, I picked up car, drove about 7 miles and the smell started. Couple days later drove the car again to work, no smell until the drive home.
1. replace blow off valve hose which was leaking (part# ***** battery $5, part # ***** Hose Clamp $2, part #04VOENG $138).
2. Replace exhaust hanger CED Rear. Bracket and hose.
3. Replace upper torque mount which was cracked. Looks like 2 of them.
Recommended: front lower control arms $880. Alignment. Heater core $900 - tech said carpet was wet.Had an oil change and passed state inspection 1month ago.And the following was done about 8months ago:
Throttle body and gasket, Alternator, alternator assembly R&R, and $160 for something called "Sublet Description". At the time they recommended also: electronic accelerator actuator/throttle $236 which I didn't have them do.
Battery is 2y old.
Expert:  Enes replied 9 months ago.

Could the service they did have caused this problem? i dont this so i think they just found all problem when they inspect the car close up
Why would my pump look like someone had "tinkered with it"? i dont think you need pump just power steering hose suction and reservoir
Is $800 a reasonable price for replacing a power steering pump? i dont think is pump that is bad i would not replace it at this point and 800 is about right if you do pump

Does a "spewing" power steering pump cause this smell?no
Can a "spewing" power steering get to this point within 7 miles of picking up car from service...without service having noticed anything wrong? all depends what happen hard to say if i can see video pictures maybe helps more

Expert:  Enes replied 9 months ago.

if you hAVE TIME please rate my reply to you positive by accepting green button and rate positive thank you feel free to reply back to me

Expert:  Enes replied 9 months ago.

thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't know where the pump is located, I can take a photo and send it to you.
Why do you think I don't need a new pump, just suction? What are you basing that on? Thanks.
Expert:  Enes replied 9 months ago.

I just saying I work at volvo dealer 15 years the pumps fail very rare most the time techs misdiagnose it to pump leak and all you need steering reservoir and suction hose

Expert:  Enes replied 9 months ago.

Please also rate my reply positive and you can talk to me again

Expert:  Enes replied 8 months ago.

.

If you can take second of your time please can you rate answer positive excellent or neutral just press one of those ratting buttons and that is all . My boss looks for your feedback ratting from you to me to be good. If you can do that please for me and you can still talk to me after ratting we stay locked .A rating is required please . Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still have paid the web page but I get nothing no credit for replying to you . I want you to be pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.and please rate ok or positive . Thank you .