Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

On 1991 volvo 940t I had the center support bearing &mount

Customer Question

On 1991 volvo 940t I had the center support bearing &mount replaced now the car has a vibration between 30 to 50 mph. No vibration at higher speeds
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Hello Victor, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. If you look at where the driveshaft bolts to the pinion flange there at the differential, the driveshaft can bolt to the differential 1 of 4 different ways, if they didn't mark it, it's possible that could be the culprit. It really needs to go back in the same spot, I would rotate the driveshaft a 180 degrees and bolt it back up to the pinion flange and see if that changed anything at all. Also, where the center support bracket bolts to the floor pan, make sure they put that back in the right place and the bolts lined up with where they were before. Those two things would be the only thing they touched putting a new center support bearing in it, So I believe one of those will fix your problem. Unless somehow they damaged the new center support bearing on installation, but I doubt that. I have seen the floorpan where the center support bracket bolts up damaged or knocked up by running over something for example, make sure it's straight and true , you want the driveshaft as straight as possible, I have shimmed that center support down some with flat washers to help vibrations before. But if it's not bent or damaged at all under there, then I doubt you should worry about that theory. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.