Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

Have new door handles 98 v90. both broke within two days of

Customer Question

Have new door handles for my 98 v90. both broke within two days of each other. how do I install? Need to get actuator rod into new handle. thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The outside door handle has a white plastic part that broke on old handles. The door release actuator rod has a 'U' on the end that goes into hole in plastic piece that moves when you pull outside handle lever. I cannot see how to get rod into hole. Maybe I have to take more of the door apart?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Volvo Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Usually the interior door paneling has to be removed and on some models the interior door module assembly that holds the glass may need removed (all depending on the model).Can you tell me what you have removed already for this here and we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Inner door panel has been removed. The problem is connecting the actuator rod hook to the door handle. Do I have to remove the latch to be able to release the rod to be able to hook it to the handle? I would like a step by step explanation of how to install a new outside door handle on a Volvo V90, S90, or 960. They are the same vehicle. Thank you.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

My info isnt showing me the exact repair or replacement info on this model here but allot of these that I have done I have had to remove the bolts from the latch so the latch will move freely in the door then the handle was easier to disconnect and reconnect and replace.I suspect this is what needs done here.If this does not help here or is tried and does not work let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The 'Expert' is not familiar with my model of car. I needed someone who has actually replaced the outside door handle on a Volvo 960 or V90 or S90. The answer sounded like he is guessing the steps required just as I am before and after the answer.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If I am not satisfied with answers do I start all over again, what is my membership worth?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

I apologize my info didnt help here,someone else here may be able to help.No other funds here are needed.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Pete. I'm frustrated since this seemed like a simple fix. Remove the broken part and install the new one. But they make these things so unless you know the exact tricks, they can't be put back together. Have a good weekend.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

You as well.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Lou P. replied 9 months ago.

hello,my name is ***** ***** assist, may i have your vin please?

Expert:  Lou P. replied 9 months ago.

i am getting instructions for you i just want to make sure there is nothing that is vin specific about your vehicle is all.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I figured it out myself and the door handles have been installed. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 9 months ago.

ok, sorry we couldnt get you taken care of sooner, i will submit for your refund, please give me a chance next time, request me and ill take care of you asap. have a good one. Lou