gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

It is hard to start, 2004 XC90. I live in Costa Rica. The

Customer Question

it is hard to start, 2004 XC90. I live in Costa Rica. The starter spins but no start till second try, more then 15-20 seconds. After that the call runs great
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Volvo. The Volvo Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: did you see my last
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no
JA: OK! The Volvo Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should be aware of about your Volvo?
Customer: I just rebuilt the entire engine, engine light is on. I know there is some can sensor not correct. It is hard to find a good mechanic here
JA: It's good that it's giving you information about the problem. The Volvo Mechanic will know what to do. OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 9 months ago.

It sounds to me like maybe your fuel pump is allowing the fuel to flow back to the tank, and it takes some time to push it back up and build pressure in the fuel rail. Does it only do this when you let it sit overnight, more than an hour, or after every start? If you keep cranking without letting off does it start? Does it run rough at all when it first starts?