Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2013 Volvo S60 T5 - What is causing the thumping noise under

Customer Question

2013 Volvo S60 T5 - What is causing the thumping noise under the floorboard of the driver's side of my car? It's almost directly under where my left foot rests on the driver's side. Very annoying, but I want to know if it's critical to the operation of the car.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** it seem to get better/worse depending on speed or if you're turning? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems to only occur when I'm pulling out of the garage, and when I initially put it in gear and take off. It quits after I drive a mile or two. Very weird, it's almost like someone is taking their fist and pounding from under the floorboard.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like the drive axle has probably failed. Since it only happens in the morning you will most likely need to let it stay over night at a shop so they can verify problem in the morning. This would be around a $6-- job to have done at a shop depending on where you go. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks for lead. I'll take it into the dealer and let them know what you said.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Let me know how it turns out or if you run into more questions. Thanks.