Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

Help with 2000 s80

Customer Question

Help with 2000 s80
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a 2000 Volvo S80 2.9 non turbo w 143k.
It has codes for bad maf, engine coolant temp sensor, both 02 sensors and I'm not getting a temperature reading on the dash. Furthermore, the car goes into limp mode sometimes.I have replaced both 02 sensors, ect, maf etc.... Everything that I had codes for. I also had he etm rebuild by Bba and software loaded by the dealer. It seems like all the sensors that I have codes for are not getting a reading making the car hard to start and once it does it idles very rough and sometimes stalls out.Am I looking at a bad ecm?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also the cooling fan stays on for about 5 minutes after shutting the car off
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

From what you have described here this does sound like you have a faulty ECM or wiring damage at the ECM.The ECM monitors the maf,coolant temp and oxygen sensors and also sends signals to the fan control module for operation.The only other issue I would see here that can cause all of these is faulty wiring leading from the engine coolant temp sensor to the ECM.This can cause false readings and in return the computer expects to see certain signals from the other sensors and can set codes for them.

Inspect the wiring from the engine coolant temp sensor and at the ECM and in the harness between the two for any issues.If no faults are found then I suspect the ECM will need replaced to correct this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete