Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

My name is ***** ***** and I have 2007 S40. Very

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my name is ***** ***** and I have 2007 S40. Very intermittently the car will stall out and the "service engine immediately" light will illuminate. Usually it will start back up after a try or two and might run fine for weeks or months before it happens again. My understanding from a mechanic is that it [likely] due to the electronic throttle linkage because of rust (from previous water due to sunroof drainage tube leak...now repaired). I have spent a fair amount of money to have this car cleaned up and repaired and remain a little skeptical about what to do. "Junk it", I was told because of the 180K miles on it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's all I've got
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Volvo Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If there is rust or corrosion with the linkage this does need repaired and cleaned to see if this resolves the issue.If this was already done and the issue hasnt occurred anymore then the fault may be corrected.

One common component that can cause the issue you have described here is the crank position sensor itself.This sensor is located under the upper intake manifold as seen here.https://www.dropbox.com/s/ia1b013pnp1x855/cr-01-17.gif?dl=0

This sensor can act up intermittently and cause the stall out you have here.It can be difficult to diagnose this sensor as the fault in some cases because it may not set a fault code.The cost for replacement can be around $120 for parts including the sensor and about 2 to 3 hours labor.

The repair on this is up to you all depending on the condition of the vehicle.If the vehicle looks o.k. and drives and runs good other then this issue here then it may be worth repairing but if you have any other issues with your vehicle running or operating then the decision is up to you to have it repaired or junk it or trade it in on something else.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete