Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

I have a volvo c70. The engine started making tapping and

Customer Question

Customer: I have a volvo c70. The engine started making tapping and knocking noises last night when I was driving home. It was making some light tapping noises and the oil light came on whilst I was driving so I topped up the oil. But a bit later the noises continued when revs went to about 2500. Then it stalled a couple of times just before I g got home and then won't start today although lights etc appear fine
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what more details do you want?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Volvo Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok, yes, fine,thanks
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Hi im kevin what is it actually doing this morning ? Does it try to turn? What is oil level like now ? Any signs of leaking?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It just clicks when I try to start it. No sign of an oil leak. Oil level is still very low.
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Ok i hate to say it but it sounds as though engine may have seized .the engine oil lubricates the crankshaft and many other mechanical components.if low for a chort period it can cause metal filings to build up in oil and score the mating surfaces of bearings causing engine to seize .you would need to try and turn engine over by hand ( using rathcet )from the crankshaft pully to confirm

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how would I turn the engine by hand? I admit it's been a few months since I checked the oil but I would have thought the oil light would have come on if it was that low?
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

The oil lights come on when they are very low the tapping and knocking is the worrying part .you can turn engine by the bolf that holds crankshaft pulley on