Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I am .i replaced a rear cam seal and cam sensor on my 1998

Customer Question

Customer: i am doug.i replaced a rear cam seal and cam sensor on my 1998 volvo s70 and now the car wont start.it ran fine before just leaked oil.it made a grinding sound now cranks but wont fire
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: only replaced cam seal and sensor.nothing else was touched but wont start
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Volvo Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

this sounds like you may have disturbed the cam position sensor that lives on that end of the engine

its used for synchronise the fuel and ignition timing so I'd 1st check that its plugged in and if it is then disconnect it and with the ignition on and the engine not running then measure for 12V between pin 3 and battery earth

if this isn't there then trace the wiring back to the ECU , checking for damage and corroded connections as you go

if this OK then replace the cam sensor

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you