Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a Automotive tech
7276279

I own a 2003 Volvo xc70. I bought it used and the 2nd day I

Customer Question

Hi, I own a 2003 Volvo xc70. I bought it used and the 2nd day I drove it the brake lights stayed on after I turned the ignition off.They stayed on and the wiring got very hot and there was a very bad smell of burnt plastic. I returned the car to the person I bought it from, he had his mechanic look at it and two weeks later he returned it and every seemed okay. I have used it for about six weeks and yesterday the brake lights were on again. I have tried to find an answer online but no luck. What do you suggest I try. Thanks in advance for your help. Sincerely Tim
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The usually cause for this type of problem is a sticking break light switch . I would try unplugging the break light switch and see if the break light now turn off. If so then replacing the switch should solve the problem. If the light remain on with the switch unplugged then that would indicate a short to power in the break light circuit. Try unplugging the switch first and see if the lights go off.