How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Eric Your Own Question
Eric
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Category: Volvo
Satisfied Customers: 29958
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632
Type Your Volvo Question Here...
Eric is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 2008 volvo s40 2.4 this morning the heater stopped

Customer Question

I have a 2008 volvo s40 2.4 this morning the heater stopped working. I have checked the radiator hoses going into the vehicle and both are hot. The engine temperature is fine as are the coolant levels.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was wondering if it is the blend door has stuck?
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Ok, does yours have manual or automatic(digital) climate control and does it have separate temperature controls for the driver and passenger side

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Manual control, only one control for temperature
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Ok, even for the manual climate control with only one temperature control, there are 2 doors and 2 actuators, one for left and one for right side. It is unlikely that either both doors or both actuators have failed at same time and more likely that it is the control unit.

The problem with verification is that a volvo (VIDAS) scan tool is needed to confirm that it is the control unit and not the actuators. To verify without this is a pain. The actuators can ONLY be accessed for testing with voltmeter by removing the entire dash in order to test them for signal. A scan tool can do testing and command functions thru the control modules to do the same thing without removing the dash.

Based upons symptoms as well as past experience, it is about 90% chance that it is the control unit and about 10% chance that both actuators have failed

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nuts, since I don't have access to the scan tool I suppose I have to take the dash off. Any chance you have the steps on how to do so? I haven't been able to find a good shop manual.
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Yes, I have access to the directions including diagrams. They do cost me money to upload and you have asked other questions without giving a positive rating which is what compensates your expert so I would like a positive rating before spending my money to provide you with directions, which is fair.

Just to give you a heads up, this is about a 7 hour job to pull the dash - the scuff panels, a pillar panels, floor console and steering column all have to come out for this job. It will take me about 30 munutes or so just to upload all the directions once I have purchased them

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Related Volvo Questions