Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I'm stranded in middle of Pennsylvania away from Michigan

Customer Question

I'm stranded in middle of Pennsylvania away from Michigan home. I'm driving 2015A Volvo S60 sedan. The reason is that the windshield washer stopped working. I can hear the pump working but no fluid comes out except that the separate nozzles to wash headlights are working fine. And I added a whole bottle of fluid. Roads are wet and mushy so can't drive without the window washer.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

The window sprayers are most likely frozen. Most repair shops either don't use anti-freeze in their window washer fluid, or the fluid sits in the reservoir long enough for the antifreeze additive to evaporate out.

The headlight nozzles don't have to travel as far through cold fluid lines so they aren't freezing up.

The only real solution will be to replace the washer fluid in the reservoir with one that contains an antifreeze or de-icer agent. That doesn't help much in the short term. The lines will have to thaw before you can pump any fluid through them and push out the fluid that is freezing. You might try pouring hot water on the spray nozzles; sometimes just the nozzle is frozen and once it is thawed you can get the fluid flowing again.

Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

I wanted to check to see if you need any additional help.

If not, please don't forget to rate.

Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

I just wanted to check and see if you need any additional information.

Please rate if you no longer need any assistance.