Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 1994 Volvo 940. Starts 50 times then won't start on

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, I have a 1994 Volvo 940. Starts 50 times then won't start on the 51th try. It cranks good but will not start. Let it sit for a while and it starts right up for another 50 times. I had it towed to my local dealer and they can't find anything wrong. It starts everytime they try it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have had plug wires replaced, but it keep doing the no start every now and then. It's not flooded.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Volvo Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes the car is just sitting at the dealer anyway, thanks
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

When it will not start, have you determined what is missing - spark or fuel? If not, we need to do this first. When it wont start, spray some starting fluid or pour a small amount of fuel into the throttle body and try to start it. If it starts and runs for a few seconds, then we know it has spark but no fuel. If no difference, then it has no spark.

Do this and let me know results