gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

My 2004 xc70 5 cylinder fires right up when cold and runs

Customer Question

my 2004 xc70 5 cylinder fires right up when cold and runs
When engine is warm, it starts right up and runs at 1000 rpm for second and then it idles back to 500 or so for just a split second then abruptly just dies.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

I’m a retired master technician and tech instructor with over 30 years experience. I also have access to a pretty good database on automotive service and repair. All of which enables me often times to offer you an educated guess on what the problem with your vehicle might be. However, if you’re thinking on working on the vehicle yourself, all my knowledge and resources won’t help you if you…

… don’t have tools or the skill to use them

… don’t know there will probably be some special tools and equipment needed for a proper diagnosis

… don’t realize it may take a few back and forth replies to solve the issue

Having said that, how can I help you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When engine is warm, it starts right up and runs at 1000 rpm for second and then, it idles back to 500 or so for just a split second then abruptly just dies. Will restart immediately and will repeat the same sequence as I stated above. This may happen only 2 times and may happen 6 until it continues to run,, after you get past this,, it runs perfectly?

Sorry but I'm confused. As I stated on my introduction, I can either offer a guess as to what could be wrong or, if you want to work on the car yourself and have all the necessary tools, I can guide you through a technical diagnosis and repair. Which choice suits you best?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Pending diagnosis , I will perform the work myself

The first step would be to plug in a capable scan tool to retrieve any data trouble codes. Then we would look at engine data through the same scan tool to see what's actually making the engine die - lack of fuel pressure, injector pulse or ignition spark.

Do you have access to such scan tool?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no error codes found

Good, that was the first step. Now we need to look at engine data through the same scan tool to see what's actually making the engine die - lack of fuel pressure, injector pulse or ignition spark.

Do you have access to such scan tool?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Our company mechanic checked the codes for me,, I think the scan tool will only read error codes

Ahh... then we're back to what I stated on my introduction:

"However, if you’re thinking on working on the vehicle yourself, all my knowledge and resources won’t help you if you…

… don’t know there will probably be some special tools and equipment needed for a proper diagnosis"

I'll opt out now and open the question to the field so other experts might chime in. Please don't reply until another expert responds or the site will cycle the question back to me.

Good luck and best regards.

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 10 months ago.

Is this a recent development? Does it matter what the outside temperature is, or just that the car is warmed up? How long is it sitting after warmed up before this starts to happen?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is a recent development. Outside aitemp does not seem to matter, as long as the engine is warm,, it typically happens just when the car has set only for a few minutes such as making a stop at the market.

So if it sits for a little longer it does not happen? Do you experience any "extended crank" before it starts on other occasions?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
after it cools down it will start and run normally, no extended crank