Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

Customer states anti-skid service required light is on.

Customer Question

customer states anti-skid service required light is on. tech: was able to duplicate fault. scanned for codes, came up with permanent fault CEM-1A64 communication with AOC control module signal missing. inspected fuses & wiring going to the (DEM) & found fuse blown. installed new fuses & after 1 min or 2 the anti-skid light returned. all wiring is good going to the DEM, recommend replacing DEM due to the DEM shorting out as first step.
Customer: DEM has been replaced and now tech is saying the a possible wiring problem and needs additional service. could be wiring all along, but the DEM needed replacing anyhow???? please advise
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to help with your question. If the DEM fuse is blown, it is usually not the DEM causing the short. It is usually a shorted AOC pump, which is controlled by the DEM.

Expert:  Andy replied 10 months ago.

It is easy to check. The AOC pump plugs into the DEM. It just needs to be disconnected and then supplied with direct 12V and ground. The pump should run smoothly then. If it does not (or makes grinding noises), it needs to be replaced.

Expert:  Andy replied 10 months ago.

Did you have any other questions?