Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I have a Volvo xc90 2009, its making a gh pith noise from

Customer Question

Customer: I have a Volvo xc90 2009, its making a high pith noise from the engine, the noise goes away after accelerating to 30 m/ho, oili happens when th engine is warm . If I pull the dip stick it stops .
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The car is running well otherwise , i checked the belts and they are ok. I beleive it may be the PVC
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Volvo Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hello

if by pulling out the dipstick the whistling noise stops then I'd say that there's a fault with the PCV valve

these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet, however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carries oil over with it.

If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.

If you do find oil replace the valve.