Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a Automotive tech
7276279

My name is ***** ***** and I have a 2003 Volvo xc70. I

Customer Question

Customer: Hello, my name is ***** ***** and I have a 2003 Volvo xc70. I recently changed the timing belt and water pump on my car. I have doubled checked that the timing marks on the timing belt cover and the timing marks on the cam line up and the two marks on the crankshaft are between the rib on the engine block. However my CEL came on with the code p0017. I have changed the camshaft sensor already so now I came to the conclusion that my variable valve timing is incorrect. Is that the correct conclusion and how would I fix this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The car seems like it is idling correctly and there is not a noticeable loss of power. The exhaust cam can rotate pretty easily whereas the intake cam is a little bit more difficult to move when lining up the timing marks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Volvo Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can wait a bit, but with the 18 dollars, do you just answer one question? or will you keep answering them until I fix my car
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The code P0017 can be set due to any of the following concerns,

• 8/81 Camshaft Reset Valve, Exhaust
  • Camshaft Timing
  • Crankshaft Timing Gear

With incorrect cam timing as the main concern. In order to determine what is causing this code you need to recheck some things. See the steps in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P0017%20Dec%2030.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/VVT%20cleaning%20Dec%2030.pdf
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did not remove any of the gears when i changed the timing belt and im not to exactly sure how to check the camshaft reset value. Could you please give me more information on how to check that? Also, i have none of the codes that are listed under the vvt cleaning. The only code i have is p0017 and it said both my intake and exhaust cams are retarded
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

I would run the test steps of the code your getting, if you did not move the gears then they should be fine.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did move the gears
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

If you moved the gears then you are likely looking at the cam shaft timing being off. The cams require a special holding tool before you remove the gears. Was that tool used?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I did not remove the gears. I did spin the gears by hand but when I reinstalled the timing belt I made sure the timing marks on the gears lined up with the timing marks on the timing belt cover.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay them you back to performing the test steps for the fault code your getting .

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Could you resend me the steps again? i tried reopening the links and they did not work.