Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

My Volvo 2002 S60 started hesitating while stopped, then

Customer Question

My Volvo 2002 S60 started hesitating while stopped, then occasionally died and started immediately when I started the car. I had the points cleaned, and nothing was found wrong with the engine.The car worked fine for a few days. It restarted hesitating and stopping (again, occasionally this week). Yesterday, It did not want to restart at a stop sign. It took me a couple of times to restart the car. This time there was a sound similar to metal cans being shook together. No metal screeching. On my way home the dash lights (icons) would momentarily flicker. This happened 4 to 7 times in an ~ 5 mile distance.My battery was purchased March, 2013.Thanks for your help.Peggy
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Peggy my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

With the hesitation and stall out issues here this sounds like the fuel pump is becoming weak causing this issue.I have seen fuel pump act up like this here before causing the issues you see here.This can cause a lean engine rattle noise like you heard and as it tries to stall out the lights on the dash can flicker.I suspect the fuel pump is on its way out needing replaced.

The fuel system will need tested to verify this which will require a fuel pressure test gauge as well as a multi meter.The pump itself can run around $200 to $300 and 2.7 hours labor to have replaced or a total of around $500 to $650 for replacement.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete