Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I ve recently had a engine valve 'polishing' done on s40

Customer Question

Customer: i ve recently had a engine valve 'polishing' done on s40 2008 2.4i 5 cyl...i reside in united arab emirates now the car is vibrating in idle as well as running
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i dont know much as i am not the technical guy
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Volvo Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

hello

As the next step I'd suggest to do a compression test across all cylinders as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
CAN I DO THE TEST MYSELF? WHAT TOOLS DO I NEED? HOW MUCH DO THEY COST?
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

hello

yes you can do the test yourself

you'll need the tools to remove the spark plugs ( deep 14mm socket, and other small sizes to remove the coils and cover)

and then you'll need a compression tester like this

http://www.screwfix.com/p/engine-compression-tester-1-piece-set/16595

and then once you've removed all the plugs and fitted the gauge you then open the throttle fully and spin it over on the starter until the gauge figure stops climbing - stop and record the figure and move onto the next