Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

My gear shifter (2009 s40) got jammed. the dust cover

Customer Question

hi, my gear shifter (2009 s40) got jammed. the dust cover disentegrated, parts breaking off, etc. i read about spilled fluids gumming up a linkage, so i removed center console waterfall and center console cover to look at the shifter mechanism (shifter blind?). it all looked OK, no signs of gummed up linkage, but as i tried to engage the manual overide to move the shifter, i noticed a a shiny metal bit just forward and left of shifter channel that seemed to be preventing movement. I poked my screwdriver there and the shiny piece stuck right to it - its a magnet that is free to move from its location. what do I do. the shifter can now move properly using the manual overide, but what do I do with the magnet? thanks
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** little metal piece is the shifter blind, and it is controlled by the printed circuit board inside the shifter mechanism, if the blind moves freely, but does not move when you press the brake pedal, then the circuit board is bad, now this is assuming the brake lights come on when pressing the pedal, do they?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
battery is dead because the key could not be removed from ignition since the shifter was stuck in neutral. heading to store to pick up charged battery, will know about brake light question in a little bit. How do you properly reposition small magnet that was blocking gear shifter?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

the circuit board controls this blind, when the brake pedal is pushed, the brake switch powers the blind through he circuit board, if the brake lights work, then the brake switch is good, and the circuit board will need to be replaced,Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

if you need more help, dont hesitat to ask, and please dont forget to rate me so I can get credit for helping, the question will remain open for 30 days, even after you rate me , and you can come back at anytime and ask follow up questions at no charge,Thanks,Tim