Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

2009 s60 AWD 64000 miles bought new. Recently driver's side

Customer Question

2009 s60 AWD 64000 miles bought new.
Recently driver's side headlight went out.
Drove to a dealer for replacement. Later drove at night and noticed headlight shining
down about 20 ft in front of car.
Returned to dealer who stated the headlamp assembly needed to be replaced. What??
Couldn't be adjusted. Could mechanic have damaged the adjuster?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do all i can to help. It's very possible the technician could have damaged the headlamp assembly when he pulled the connector off the back of the bulb, the wiring connector that goes on the bulb takes some force to get off, and I myself have done it before, one thing you can do, is pull the cover off the back of the headlamp, and just move the wiring connector while looking at the bulb, if the bulb isn't seated good, and just moving the wire you see the bulb move some looking into the headlamp, then likely the area where the bulb fits into is cracked. There really is no repairing that if it is cracked. Take a look at that and let me know if you see the bulb moving around, if it's stationary and not moving around, then it's possible the bulb itself just isn't seated correctly, as they fit down into the lamp assembly and then turn about a 1/4 turn to look into place. Let me know what you find there.