Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Having an issue with our 2004 s40 with a 1.9t; code P0172.

Customer Question

Customer: Having an issue with our 2004 s40 with a 1.9t; code P0172.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Basically, the turbo won't engage because of faulty fuel degradation readings. The meter at Tires Plus ran -30% meaning that the computer was removing 30 percent of fuel from the mixture (if I got that correct - big if)
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Volvo Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure; but I need to know which parts to replace and where to get them? Otherwise, it won't be much help.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Check the front heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) and control module connectors for contact resistance and oxidation Check the air filter and intake system for blockage

Check for too high fuel pressure

Check the injectors for leakage

Check that the engine oil level is not too high and that it is not contaminated with fuel - Remedy as necessary.

Fuel Pressure, Engine Running The pressure should rise to approximately 309 kPa (45 psi) immediately after the engine starts.

Fuel Pressure, Residual The fuel pressure must not be lower than 200 kPa for 20 minutes after the engine is shut off.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks