sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Followed the diag steps---on step two --had full voltage

Customer Question

followed the diag steps---on step two for coil--had full voltage with key on at red wire----at blue wire with key on no crank is 7 volts--at crank it wil jump to full battery voltage
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the engine controller is awake yet there is no spark then I would first suspect a cam timing issue, but it could be a wiring issue or even the engine controller. I've seen many issues with aftermarket cam and crank sensors so if the replacements were aftermarket I wouldn't completely rule them out either.

The correct way to test a coil driver circuit is to check for pulsing ground but it sounds like you have no coil driver.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to check for fault codes. Nearly anything that will cause a loss of spark will set a fault code. Have you checked for codes?