Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

2001volvos40changed stering colums because of lost key try

Customer Question

2001volvos40changed stering colums because of lost key try to start starts and quits
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealer technician. You cannot swap a used immobilizer since it is programmed to the car.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

You will need to order a new key pre-cut from a dealer and have it programmed once the original parts are installed back in the car.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

From the Volvo service manual regarding the immobilizer:

"A new immobilizer control module must be initiated (programmed) after installation. Data about which engine control module (ECM) it will communicate with is programmed. The immobilizer control module adapts the communication according to this data. This adaptation cannot be changed. This means that the immobilizer control module cannot be moved between different cars.
All cars with an immobilizer have a unique PIN, VIN or VERLOG code. This is programmed into the control module before the car leaves the factory or when a defective control module is exchanged as a replacement part.
This code(s) cannot be changed. They are stored with other vehicle data in the Volvo database.
When programming keys in the control module, the control module security code is programmed into the transponder in the keys. All keys must also be replaced when replacing the immobilizer control module. The new control module does not recognize the safety code from the previous control module.
■ all codes from the original control module
■ new keys
must be programmed.
This is carried out during initialization in the data link connector (DLC) in VIDA."

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Please remember to select a rating for my prompt service at the top of your screen. As a subscription customer, there is no additional charge, it simply allows me to be credited for helping. You can always follow up at any time. Thank you.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any other questions?