Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

S60 2004 Volvo, Car error was "try slow down or Shift up".

Customer Question

s60 2004 Volvo, Car error was "try slow down or Shift up". car had a coil problem. Changed #2 coil and all new Volvo spark plugs. Here's the problem, when that error came up and engine light came on, I kept driving it to get home.
#1 Did I make things worse when I kept driving it?
#2 original coil # *****(###) ###-####and swapped it with 30713416. I was told by Volvo it makes no difference.
#3 cleaned MAF with MAF cleaner.
#4 check engine light came back on and had code checked. Code 3502 misfire on #2?
Drove it over 300 miles and than the car started to sputter while idling and check engine light came on. What can cause this?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 12 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help with your questions tonight. First, if you only drove it briefly to get home, you didn't cause any further damage. If a car is driven with a misfire for extended periods of time, it can damage the catalytic converter. The part numbers are different because the number has changed over the years. This is very common for any part. You have the correct coil. If the code has returned and the coil is firing, there is another cause for the misfire- likely mechanical. A compression test and cylinder leakage test should be performed on the engine to check the integrity of the combustion chamber for each cylinder.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Andy replied 12 months ago.

Did you have any other questions?

Please remember to select a rating at the top of your screen for my service so that I may be credited for helping. It does not close the question and you can follow up at any time. Thank you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Andy,
I started with the easy stuff first. When I saw your reply I was surprised that we didn't start with the basic. Although I did do the basic spark plug and coil change. I also went and changed the spark plug boots as they seemed wore. The rough idle and sputter was due to a cracked spark plug,frayed and exposed wires on the #2 coil. The basic.
Expert:  Andy replied 12 months ago.

Glad you found it. Let me know if you need anything else. Please remember to select a rating when you're all set. Thank you.

Expert:  Andy replied 12 months ago.

So I do not deserve to be credited because I assumed that you did not break a spark plug when replacing them and assumed you would have seen exposed wiring when doing them? I answered four questions and the answers would have led to finding the spark plug when you removed them for a compression test. Thanks a lot, happy holidays.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
WOW, I meant no disrespect, and not to happy with how you handled this. Not to professional. I would have rated you, and would even have split the price of $31.00 for you answering my questions.
Expert:  Andy replied 12 months ago.

No problem, I saw the refund had been processed before I posted, which means a rating was not possible.