Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

2001 Volvo v70: Intermittent whistling sound; said to be

Customer Question

2001 Volvo v70: Intermittent whistling sound; said to be clogged PCV.
Anything I might try short of replacing the oil trap?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 12 months ago.

Hi Jerry,

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help with your question today. You say the sound is intermittent- when does it occur?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
shortly after warm up; comes and goes with acceleration.
Expert:  Andy replied 12 months ago.

Will it do it at idle?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
usually not after idling down
Expert:  Andy replied 12 months ago.

How was it diagnosed as a clogged PCV?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
dealer
Expert:  Andy replied 12 months ago.

Okay, thank you. I'm just trying to make sure it is indeed the PCV. I usually recommend pulling the oil dipstick slightly when the noise is occurring. If the noise stops, the PCV is at fault. If the PCV is clogged, there really isn't anything you can do to fix it aside from replacing it. The port in the engine block where the breather box drains should also be cleaned and verified to be clear into the oil pan.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Nothing new here, sorry.
Expert:  Andy replied 12 months ago.

I'm sorry that I do not have a magic solution for you. My options are to either tell you the right answer, or let you sit and wait while no one answers your question because they won't be paid if they don't tell you what you want to hear.

Expert:  Andy replied 12 months ago.

The answer is not a reflection of my service, which was prompt and accurate.

Expert:  Andy replied 12 months ago.

Rating does not change the amount charged, it simply allows me to be credited for prompt, accurate service.

Expert:  Andy replied 12 months ago.

A positive rating would be appreciated since I answered your question within a minute of it being open. Otherwise, the website just keeps the money and I am not compensated for my time and expertise.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Site guaranteed satisfaction; nothing personal, dealer already charged $120 for the info.
Expert:  Andy replied 12 months ago.

Good luck.

Expert:  Andy replied 12 months ago.

Next time you ask a question you know the answer to, let us know so we can move on to another.

Expert:  Andy replied 12 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealer technician. I am going to try to help with your questions today.

First, driving briefly to get home won't cause any other damage. Continuing to drive an extended period of time can cause damage to the catalytic converter.

Second, the difference in part numbers is just a new number. Part numbers change all the time.

If the code returned, then there is another problem causing the misfire. The compression in the cylinder would need to be checked and a cylinder leakdown test would probably need to be performed to see where any compression is being lost. How many miles are on the engine?

Expert:  Andy replied 12 months ago.

Sorry, that was meant for another question. Please disregard.