Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

V70xc just stopped pulling at 65 miles an hr on ghway pulled

Customer Question

v70xc just stopped pulling at 65 miles an hr on highway pulled over car feels like its shifting but nothing happens slight grinding going back to park when they came to tow me car in park but winch from tow truck pulled it like it was in neutral only code is engine system service required
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This sounds like an internal fault with the park pawl or another internal mechanical fault in the transmission causing the pulling/power issue as well as the grinding and the pulling onto tow truck in park like it was in neutral.I suspect an internal component has broke free inside the transmission possibly an issue with the parking pawl itself.

What will need to be done from here is first have the fault codes checked/read out since the system service light is on to see what codes are set.Most likely one or more codes are set with this issue here that need to be diagnosed to help locate and repair the cause here.If any codes are set this will help lead to the fault.

I suspect the transmission pan and in some cases the entire transmission will need removed for further inspection to locate and repair the cause.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
thanks pete will get codes
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete