Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, shop owner, 30+ years all makes and models
2947720

Why my 89 volvo 740 gl won't rev above 2000 rpm?

Customer Question

Category: Volvo
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using the site. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

You will want to check the fuel pressure to see if it is too low. Also that the filter is not restricting the flow of fuel.

..

Then if the fuel pressure and flow are good, the exhaust may be a little bit restricted. You can have a back pressure test done on it at most exhaust shops to see if the cat is clogged.

.

.

If they are both ok, then you will want to take a sample of the fuel to be sure that it’s not contaminated.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
My 89 volvo wont rev over 2000 rpm like i said before. Also when i rev on the engine it splutters like. I changed the TBS sensor. There was no reading from it on my multi-meter. That didn't fix my car. Have a 89 volvo 740 gl 5 speed. Thanks.
Expert:  Jerry replied 12 months ago.

i guess that would be the TPS, (throttle position sensor)?

.

What is the fuel pressure at?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
do you absolutely need a fuel gauge to check the fuel pressure? I do not have one. Is there a do it yourself way to check the fuel pressure? Thanks.
Expert:  Jerry replied 12 months ago.

No, I wish there was. Normally the parts stores, (like autozone) will lend the fuel pressure test kits out for free though, thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 12 months ago.

I can get the instructions for it and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for as little as possible.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks