Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

Can a battery smaller than the original cause electrical

Customer Question

can a battery smaller than the original cause electrical problems? my S40 2.4i gives me a lot of problems, aircon doesn't work, I got the compressor and gas checked and the technician says the problem is electrical. when it's off the head lamp motor makes some funny weird noise and an engine check is forever on the display. what could possibly be wrong with my car?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

Battery size doesn't matter, cold cranking amps and correct voltage does. From your description of your problems, I would first be checking all the major grounds such as from the negative battery cable and chassis grounds.

Thanks, Ron

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealer technician. This is not a ground problem at all. It also has nothing to do with your battery. You have separate issues going on. The compressor is a common problem. I don't know what either shop did to diagnose it, but usually the problem is the A/C works fine for a while and then stops cooling. When the car is shut off for a while and re-started, the A/C works again. This is a worn out compressor clutch and is very common on that model. The check engine light is a separate issue. You would need to have the fault codes read to have an idea where to start. Have you had the codes checked?

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

My suggestions are a place to start then move on from there from the easiest things first. There's no way of diagnosing this problem over the internet, but I can direct you one step at a time to get to the solution. I am also an automotive trainer with Volvo tech's in front of me from time to time also.

Thanks, Ron

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

It's not a ground issue. My reply is based on actual hands on experience working on Volvo's. Not teaching general information that applies to many makes and models. A ground problem would cause a lot more problems than the compressor to not work and a check engine light. This can certainly be diagnosed over the internet.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any other questions about this? Were you able to get the codes read?

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up to see if you had any other questions. Did you have any luck having the codes read? Was power at the compressor checked while the A/C cut out?