Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

Recently changed the battery in a 2005 XC90. Vehicle ran

Customer Question

Recently changed the battery in a 2005 XC90. Vehicle ran fine until Friday. Now get an immobilizer message along with several others, and car will not start. Tried both keys. Is there a reset or do I need to have it towed to the nearest repair shop?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Your are getting the "Start Prevented Try Again" message in the window, or does it say "Immobilizer See Manaul"? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Immobilizer see manual
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also getting passenger off, seek service immediately, anti skid need service, park assist need service
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, the anti skid service is likely the YAW sensor under the seat. they go bad fairly often, however, you will have to check the ABS codes to be sure, it's possible it could be a wheel speed sensor.

What is likely wrong is the Antenna ring that wraps around the ignition lock cylinder has failed or the connection is corroded. you can try unplugging it and plugging it back up a few times, If you look under the column, there will be 3 T25 torx screws, you can undo those screws, pull the plastic shroud off the column, and then get to the antenna ring, I would go to junkyard just to try another one. If you google (Volvo Antenna Ring) you will see what it looks like. you can get them online for fairly resonable. If both keys didn't start it, I would certainly try another one. If that doesn't fix it, it's likely the CEM (Central Electric Module) may be at fault, or the module lost key memory, I've seen that before too. But you would need an advanced type scanner to see how many keys we're stored in the CEM.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

That is a picture of the antenna ring.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are CEM expensive to replace. I read $7000. Is that true?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Not quite that bad, but 1000 would be about right, I would suggest Xemodex.com for the CEM. I have had good luck there in the past.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help. Will start with the antenna ring and work from there.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, sounds like a good plan. thank you.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thought I would follow up, any luck with that Volvo? thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally found a repair shop that would be able to repair if needed. They think it may just need a computer reboot. Had it towed to them today.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, depending on what kind of scanner they have, they may be able to see that the CEM has 0, 1, 2, or 3 keys stored in memory. if the CEM has 0 keys stored, then it has lost memory and they may be able to reload it, If it has 2 keys already stored, then tell them the antenna ring is likely at fault and not reading the key. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.