rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I am out of state and lost the key fob to my 2012 Volvo. We

Customer Question

I am out of state and lost the key fob to my 2012 Volvo. We have no other key. How can I have a key made with anything to copy
Category: Volvo
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

You have 2 options to get a key and new fob.

1 is to do this at the dealer, the other is to call a locksmith either option, a special tool is needed for programming.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am out of state it is Sunday and no dealerships are open. Is there anything I can do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm stranded help
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, but no. I'm aware it's Sunday, and I wish I could give you better news, but the options I gave you are the only ones. A locksmith will come to you and fix this issue. Like I said before, a special tool is needed for the programming. I'm just delivering the truth to you, hope you don't take this out on my rating.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not upset with you I'm just not sure of your answer. If I call a locksmith will they be able to program it. Or do I have to take it to a dealer
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Like you said, there are no dealers open today, but the locksmith is on duty 24/7. This is your only option today.

Thanks and good luck,