Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

I have a 2002 Volvo v70 non turbo. 160,000 miles, my

Customer Question

Hey Edward,
I have a 2002 Volvo v70 non turbo. 160,000 miles, my commuter, always ran great. A week ago a check engine light came on. Yesterday at work I put a code reader on it. P0420 and P0455 I think. One was an evaporative emissions gross leak and the other is the catalyst system. Today driving home about 2 miles after leaving the power cut out. While cruising in neutral I continually started the car to have it immediately die regardless of being in neural or drive. Throttle opened up didn't change anything. Seemed to idle a little longer before dying in neutral. While pulling into a parking lot I revved the engine hard a few times, put in drive and died. Started up and died 3 more times then ran.?????? It died like a fuel pump but came on again. My best guess is the cat or O2 sensors plugged and either creating back pressure or telling it not to send fuel. Curious if you have any other ideas? Thank you
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Excessive back pressure due to a restricted catalytic converter will cause the engine to lose power and can eventually lead to a stall out or hard or no starting all depending on how plugged it is.The evap code wont cause this here with a leak code and the leak code may have been a one time fault of leaving the gas cap loose and the code may just need cleared.It may also be a fault with one of the evap components leaking needing replaced.You would have to have the EVAP system smoke tested to pinpoint and repair the leak.

Back to the stalling and no start though,since you have a catalytic converter code I would have the exhaust back pressure tested.This is done with the pre catalytic converter oxygen sensor removed and a back pressure tester threaded into the oxygen sensor port.Then the engine ran (if it runs at all).If the back pressure exceeds 1.5 psi at any engine rpm range this indicates the catalytic converter needs replaced.

If it will not start and run at all try loosening or disconnecting the exhaust and see if it starts and runs then.If it does then the catalytic converter was plugged and needs replaced.

If the testing or lowering the exhaust doesnt work and the issue still occurs I would have the fuel pressure tested.You may still need a catalytic converter for the code set or any exhaust leaks fixed to fix the code set but you may have a weak fuel pump needing replaced that is actually causing the stall out/no start issue.I have had to replace several fuel pumps before for issues like this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey,
Thank you for your time. I actually fixed the issue before the answer. I'm a firefighter and was cleaning out my air filter and got a call. Forgot to put it back before going home. Must of sucked diet and bugs. As for the codes and engine light, they came on a week ago prior. When putting the new filter in I noticed a vacuum line disconnected from the back of the box. After putting back, no codes, no engine light. That explains the no flow. As far as the $26 fee, will that be refunded. Thanks again, Matt
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

That is great to hear the fault has been located and resolved.I will send this to customer service for you.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome